Would you like to learn how to design sustainable buildings that are highly energy and water efficient, use sustainable materials, cut waste, and are comfortable to live in?
This course brings some of Australia's award winning leading experts in sustainable design into your office, home or classroom, whenever you want, wherever you are. Get one-on-one mentoring and training to help you with applying sustainable design to buildings.
With over 30 high quality multi-media lessons featuring animation and case studies, and engaging activities that will get you thinking and participating, this course will allow you to get the highest quality feedback on your designs from industry experts.
This unit of competency specifies the outcomes required to research current and incoming legislative requirements for environmental sustainability of buildings covered by the Building Code of Australia (BCA), except construction Type A buildings; and to clarify client preferences and budget.
It also covers reviewing site conditions, evaluating sustainability options, and recommending cost-effective options for sustainability to clients in order to meet compliance requirements and client preferences.
This unit of competency supports building designers who incorporate sustainable design solutions that fall within the clients’ budget into small-scale building design projects.
- Researching trends in sustainable design
- Current and incoming legislation relating to sustainable design requirements
- Assess clients’ sustainability requirements, preferences and budget
- Construction materials and methods used in sustainable design, including costs
- Zero-Energy buildings
- How to engage your client in the design process
- Indoor Air Quality
- Designing for Your Climate Zone
- Condensation in Buildings
- Passive Heating, Cooling and Ventilation
- Material Selection and LCA
- Glazing and Thermal Performance
- Water Efficient Design
- Grey Water Systems
- Renewable Energy and Battery Storage
- Communication with the Builder and Client
self-paced between 16 - 24 hours on-line and on-site
Students must be qualified architects, building designers, or be currently studying building design. Must be able to use CAD and have access to CAD software
- Mark Thompson (Eco Effective Design, President of Australian Green Development Forum, Co-author of The Environmental Brief - Pathways for Green Design)
- Ronny Matzat (DSGNK and Green Building Institute, Al Gore Climate Change Reality Leader, People's Choice Award Sustainable House Northern Rivers)
- Janine Strachan (Green Design Solutions, Alan Bartlett Consulting, RMIT and HIA GreenSmart)
- Ken Long (dSquared Consulting and President of Adelaide Sustainable Building Network,Green Star Accredited Professional (Design & As-Built), Living Building Challenge Ambassador)
- Julian Rutt (Lumen Studio, Adelaide Review People's Choice award, Houses (New), 2014 AIA SA Chapter awards)
Australia-wide. Students must have access to internet and lap-top/PC with a web-cam.
$900 Payment available on-line by credit card or Paypal
This course is worth 24 formal CPD points.
Qualified residential and commercial designers and architects who successfully complete this course will be offered a free listing on the Green Building Institute directory