Are you an existing insulation installer seeking certification with the Energy Efficiency Council? This course is a new requirement for any contractor seeking certification, and can be completed on-site.
This competency specification specifies the outcomes required to safely prepare for retrofitting of insulation in residential ceiling spaces, including removal of existing insulation.
The competency specification includes identifying legislative, regulatory, and job requirements; planning and preparing to install insulation; identifying insulation products; preparing a site for retrofitting; and removal of existing insulation products.
The competency specification requires a person undertaking this work to comply with legislative, regulatory, safety and technical, organisational and site requirements while planning and carrying out the work.
The competency specification applies to insulation installers working primarily in residential buildings, although there may be application in some instances in commercial buildings.
Persons undertaking this unit should be aware that coverage of this unit extends only to ceiling insulation and does not include the broader context of wall and floor insulation installation.
This competency specification comprises part of Energy Efficiency Council Certified Insulation Installer certification.
A person who demonstrates competency in this unit must:
• Conduct an electrical risk assessment and prepare an electrical risk assessment report.
• Confirm an electrical risk assessment has been undertaken and access electrical risk assessment report and identify electrical components and installations in accordance with AS 3999:2015 Bulk thermal insulation – Installation or its successor.
• Remove roof tiles and batten to gain access to roof cavity for products and installers
• Access a roof cavity through internal manhole
• Install roof safety rail to existing roof structure
• Secure access ladder to roof safety rail
• Plan and prepare to retrofit bulk insulation in a ceiling space with a minimum area of 9 square metres, including removal of existing insulation products, including:
o Loose fill
Applicants must have completed the following units of competency, or equivalent units of competency;
CPCCWHS2001 – Apply WHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry;
CPCCOM1015 – Carry out measurements and calculations;
CPCCCM2012 – Work safely at heights;
CPCCPB3014 – Install bulk insulation and pliable membrane products;
CPCCPB3027 – Install ceiling insulation products.
If you have not completed these subjects they are available through the Green Building Institute, in partnership with Best Option Training RTO 41246
$400 for full course
$400. Eligible ACT residents are eligible for funding for training rebates of up to 70% of training costs through the ACT Building and Construction Industry Training Fund. Submit applications for funding through the website.
All other states:
Students must be currently working in the insulation retro-fit industry and have access to the following:
Students will complete all theory on-line using our self-paced elearning platform, and demonstrate practical skills on-site. The practical skills must be recorded photographically and uploaded for the trainer to mark.
The course is self-paced and takes about one day to complete. This may be shorter subject to prior experience and/or RPL